How to START a Ministry at Your School
Here’s a step-by-step guide to START a ministry at your local high school or middle school campus:
S-Share in the Vision
T-Talk to a Coach
A-Apply to work with Cru
R-Recruit a Team
T-Tactics: Create a Ministry Plan
Let’s get into some of the details of what this START involves:
1. Share in the Vision
Our most significant ministry happens when we train students to become missionaries to their peers. We call it “Win, Build, Send.”
What is your Vision?
- After spending a significant amount of time in prayer and the Word, what needs of teenagers are most pressing on your heart?
- How would things be different if all teenagers at school would come to know Christ?
- What do you want to see God do at your local school? How do you want the school to be different 2-4 years from now?
2. Talk to a Coach
Share your vision with your College Ministry leadership and then call the High School Ministry. You can talk to a local High School Ministry staff person in your area or call the High School’s Coaching Center at 877-GoCampus to speak with a personal ministry coach who is available to provide phone “coaching” or training, along with tools and encouragement – all for free.
Call 877-GoCampus (462-2678) or find out how you can volunteer with Cru’s High School Ministry.
3. Apply to Volunteer
In order for you to use the name Cru or Campus Crusade for Christ for your ministry or activities, you’ll need to apply and be accepted. Also, all volunteers need to apply.
4. Recruit a Team
Share the vision for your ministry with others and give them specific roles to play.
Setting up a Team The resources below are available on this site:
- Choosing the Right People for Your Team
- Working with Other Christians on Campus
- Adult Informational Meeting
5. Tactics: Create a Ministry Plan
Plan-Step 1: Pray
Find others who will pray with you and for you. Below are some resources to help:
Plan-Step 2: Scout the Campus
Learn the unique needs and ways of life at the school:
Plan-Step 3: Meet and Gather Students
Go to the campus or wherever teens hang out.
Plan-Step 4: Decode the Campus
Observe how students hang out in natural groups.
Plan-Step 5: Choose a Group to Reach
- Planning and Conducting an Outreach
- Comment Cards
- Outreach Ideas
- How to Follow Up New Christian
- Faith Tracks Studies
- How to Lead a Small Group
Please be aware of legal issues and protective measures that need to be taken when working with minors.
- Why use a Tool to Share Your Faith
- Interactive Flash Booklet “Connecting with God”
- Testimony-Your Story
- Creative Evangelistic Events
- Dare to Multiply
- Follow-up studies
- Building a Spiritual Movement
- Vision of Fruit
- Evangelism Questionnaires
- How to use Questionnaires
To download a file of a plan, or if interested in more, go to our Ministry Tools!