I hope you are having a great year of student ministry! Since you are reading this, you most likely have a heart for students and are trying to help them come to faith in Christ and grow in their relationship with Him. What should you be doing? How do you make sure that as many students as possible hear about Christ and have the opportunity to become complete in Him? We want to try to help you with some practical next steps.
In our ministry we tend to think in terms of four major emphases in our ministry: Prayer, Win, Build, and Send. These help us determine whether an idea can help us raise up the next generation for Christ. This month we will explain how prayer impacts your school, and offer a variety of prayer resources.
If we were trying to play basketball or create a nice bird watching club on campus, prayer would not be one of our major roles (though God rules over everything). The point is that we are about changed lives, asking God to exchange their nature with His nature. Seeking His wisdom and asking Him to move in the hearts of those we attempt to impact is what God has called us to do.
What are some of the reasons we should pray?
- We are commanded to do so.
- It demonstrates dependence and faith.
- God desires for us to see Him work in response to our asking.
How do we lead in prayer?
- As we plan, we talk to God in prayer.
- When we meet with students we express our dependence on God in prayer.
- Involve adults in praying for and with students in the community.
- Partner with others in the community in prayer.
- Create larger events that call students to prayer.
- Ask someone to become coordinator for prayer in your ministry.
Here are some resources that can help you in the area of prayer.
- Most Wanted List and Prayer Card
- Mobilizing Students to Pray
- Spice up Your Prayer Life
- How to Start Campus Prayer Groups
- Prayer Triplets
We love students and want to see them have everything God has planned for them. Our only way to see the goal reached is to seek God’s face in prayer. Remember to challenge others to pray with you. Some examples might be: Christian teachers, Moms prayer groups, and other youth leaders. Many people care about students but don’t see themselves involved in the Winning, Building, and Sending of them. However, they can be some of your best prayer warriors.
God’s challenge to us is as real today as it was in the days of the prophets. It says in Jeremiah 33:3, “Call to me and I will answer you, I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know”. Prayer is the fuel that God uses to ignite the campus with the flames of His glory and presence and power to do all that He intends to do. Won’t you join with Him in prayer and challenge others to pray for this generation?
We can help you reach your campus for Christ! Please call us at 1-877-GoCampus (462-2678) if you have any questions or wish to launch a ministry in your local community!