Joe’s Big Surprise
Joe came back from a concert with some exciting news. “I’ve got to tell you something,” he said to his friend. “Tonight I invited Christ to be my Savior!” Joe’s friend smiled and responded. “Great, I’ve been waiting for you to do that. I have been living the Christian life in front of you for a long time so you could see what it was like, hoping you would become a Christian.” Joe gave his friend a surprised look. “I’ve been trying to live a good life too, but I just couldn’t do it. Why didn’t you tell me how I could know Christ?” If you were Joe’s friend, how would you answer his question?
Living our faith is very important, but telling about our faith is just as important. The Scriptures say, “And how can they believe in Him if they have never heard about Him? And how can they hear about Him unless someone tells them? “Romans 10:14 (TLB) The best way to put your faith into words, is to tell your own personal story. An example of this is Paul. Before you go any further, read Acts 26:1-23 and get acquainted with Paul’s story.
- He described his life before he met Christ. Vs.9-11
- He explained exactly how he came to know Christ. Vs.13-18
- He described his life once he had received Christ. Vs.19-23
Work through these questions and then share your story with a friend.
(Use a separate sheet of paper if you need it.)
- This is how my life was before I invited Christ to be my Savior and Lord. Describe how you thought about life, and some areas where you had a need or struggle.
- This is how I became a Christian. Be very specific, even how you prayed to receive Christ, if you remember. It helps people understand how they can receive Christ.
- Now that I have received Christ, my life is different in the following ways. List three or four areas, referring back to your points in number one. When you have told your story, explain the gospel to your friend, and ask if they would like to receive Christ into their life (see His Story on the opposite page).
- If you received Christ when you were real young, and it is difficult to remember your life before Christ, identify one area where you have had a struggle and Jesus has made a difference – like family problems, a tragedy, personal issues, etc.
- When you write your answers to these questions, write as though you were talking to a friend.
- Use “for example” type of illustrations when you share. It will help others relate.
- Make your story short – like a couple of minutes.
- If you think your story is boring, it’s not. Identify how Christ has helped you, and tell it with excitement.
- Share your story with a Christian friend first. Ask them to help you make it clear.
- Remember: Your faith in Christ must be personal, but it should never be private.